Thursday, December 30, 2010

First steps on the path to recovery


Well, there are a lot of firsts.  This is my first time blogging, and certainly my first time writing about something like obsessive compulsive disorder.  I was first diagnosed slightly more than one month ago with "Pure O."  Specifically, I have "harm ocd."  For a lot of reasons, in this blog I am going to refrain from writing in detail about the content of my intrusive thoughts, but suffice to say that they cause great anxiety and pain, and have also led me down a path of despairing.  Now, I'm connected with a great counseling center and working with both a therapist and psychiatrist.  I am on a low dose of SSRIs, which so far doesn't seem to be making a difference but over the next few weeks the dosage should be going us. 

As for CBT, I am working with the books noted at the right and about to begin my Exposure and Response Prevention therapy.  I am curious about how this will go, and more than a little nervous.  But for the reasons that you're probably reading this, I am eager to begin:  I want to feel better.  I want to reclaim the joy I have felt in my life. 

A word about me ... 

I'm a 20-something young woman living in the Northeastern part of the U.S.  I have a great job, though I'm beginning to apply to graduate school.  I also have a wonderful and supportive network of friends, including one who has gone through the trials of OCD, and an active faith life of which prayer and service are foundations.  My boyfriend, we'll call him J., is a source of constant support.  So, everything should be fine in my world, right?  I wish!  Here's to kicking OCD in the pants!  

I decided to write this blog because it's been so helpful to read other OCD blogs, and to know that I am not alone.  For those of you just beginning down this path, perhaps we can accompany each other.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  

3 comments:

  1. Hi Doubting Girl! I haven't been officially diagnosed yet, but I think we suffer from the same kind of OCD. I have intrusive thoughts about harming people, too. They're the worst intrusive thoughts I ever had. I take antidepressant meds too, on a low dose now because my symptoms improved, and was about to stop taking them... when I had a sort of relapse. So I decided to start an actual psychotherapy. Besides the fact I'd like to know whether I have OCD or something else, I realized that meds alone don't do much, and I'd like to learn how to deal with these thoughts I wish I didn't have.
    My blog is private... if you wish to read it, feel free to contact me, and I'll add you to my readers' list! :)

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello doubting girl, its a bit comforting to know I am not the only one dealing with this type of OCD. I am 24 years old and have been living with it since 12 years old. It is definitely hard... This is my first time trying to make friends with others who understand what this is. I really hope to hear from you and help support each other, I also will be creating a blog and website soon.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete