Friday, December 31, 2010

OCD and stressful times

It's law school application time!!  That's right -- I'm in the process of getting treatment for OCD, and still trying to pump out personal narratives and applications.  The other night I thought, wow, one year from now I could write a stellar essay about how I overcame the "doubting disease" to become more sure of myself, and more sure of my decisions.... except, well, it's not one year from now.  It's right now, and right now OCD is a part of my life.  And trying to put together an essay conveying who you are is incredibly hard when you are full of doubts!

Here's an example -- the other day, I was walking along and getting ready to go to work and I walked into the subway station, which has a railing along it.  As I walked along, I had the thought - what if I were to jump down from this railing.  Now, I'm sure I've had this thought dozens of times before as I've made this same walk.  Except this time, I couldn't stop thinking about it.  And the thought deeply troubled me, causing me to wonder if that meant I was going to jump from the railing.  Maybe I want to jump off the railing?  Why would I want to jump off the railing?  I must be crazy to want to do this.  I must somehow want to go out of control.   These thoughts nearly stopped me in my tracks, my heart started pounding, and to respond to the anxiety, I moved to the other side away from the railing.

Now, I understand that I wasn't going to jump over the railing.  But in the moment, it was all I could do keep from running out of the subway station.  As if my body was responding to an invisible thought, and I agreed that it was a terrible thought.

The other night I was really struggling with one particular deadline for a law school essay.  Whether because of my anxiety or because of my medication I have been unable to focus and have had insomnia for well over a week.  My frustration quickly spiraled and it was as if a dark cloud had set in.  Sometimes I think it feels that way when I have a "spike" of intrusive thoughts and fears - as if I can hardly see beyond myself.  Eventually, despairing, I made a call to my therapist and got a call back shortly afterwards.  We made a plan:

-  Sleep is super important.  Each day that goes by without it, the OCD gets worse.  If that means sacrificing time to write the essay, that's okay.
-  Taking my meds:  I've *never* thought I would be someone who needed medication.  Advil is even a challenge to get me to take.  But through the last month I've learned that whether I like it or not, medication is going to make a difference in helping me to turn things around.  In addition to my SSRI I've also been given a low dosage of anti-anxiety medication to take as needed.  Unfortunately, this itself is a challenge for me as I often have intrusive thoughts that the medication will make me go crazy.  I've learned that this is a common fear for OCD sufferers who need to feel total control over their minds and bodies.

In the end, I did take the medication and the next day was grateful for it.  Going for a long walk, getting outside, all of this made the day seem so much better.  And I wrote an essay!

2 comments:

  1. My OCD became an obvious problem to me after filling out an application full of maybes (I was really afraid of lying!). As one might expect, the application didn't go over well. I must risk lying whenever filling out an application.
    And sleep! Yes, sleep makes a big difference to me. It seems closely related to my depression/anxiety level, but lack of it can certainly make me feel worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I was reading your blog, and haven't even finished reading the post I was looking at, but just wanted to say that I believe God does not want us to be overcome with OCD and He WILL help us through it. I'm a 16 year old girl who has been diagnosed with OCD 2 years ago, and OCD has really tried to steal my life away. But, I'm not letting it! Sometimes it's hard just to get through the next minute when you have OCD, but, guess what? We can do it!!! What I tell myself is, all you gotta have is faith, and give it your all, and then there's no way that OCD is gonna have the final way. Cause God is always gonna take care of us, as long as we do our best to honor Him in everything we do. God is way stronger than our OCD fears.
    Jeremiah 29:11NIV " For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

    ReplyDelete